Sunday, February 16, 2014

Tasting - Shine Dornfelder Sweet Red

Name: Shine Heinz Eifel Dornfelder Sweet Red
Variety: 100% Dornfelder
Region: Rheinhessen, Germany
Country: Germany
Year: 2011
Price: $12

Winery Review: The reflection of the sun’s rays off the Rhein river help to ripen these hearty red grapes, thus producing a full bodied wine with flavors of dark red fruits with a well balanced sweetness.  2011 was a difficult year for the vintners. Especially in the Rheinhessen area where May frosts cut yields dra- matically. This natural low yield, though bad for farmers in terms of quantities, was outstanding for consumers in terms of quality with grape sugar concentration lev- els averaging about 10° Oeschle (greater than 2 Brix) more than usual!

My Review:  I was surprised how much I liked this red wine.  It was not as bitter as I expected.  I could definitely pick up the fruity flavor, but I am still trying to figure out how to distinguish the specific smells and tastes.  This was a great red wine.

I tasted this on its own without food.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment